Getting to the workshop
Boone is a quaint Mountain town in the North Carolina High Country. It rests at a 3333 ft. elevation and is perfectly situated between Blowing Rock, Banner Elk, Mountain City and Jefferson. All beautiful mountains in their own right. Boone is also the home of Appalachian State University which is now host to over 13,000 students which helps to give the town it’s young and vibrant spirit. Most likely you will be using your GPS to find your way up to Boone, but some of the more popular way to travel in would be:
From Charlotte: Hwy 77 North to I-85 South, 321 North to Blowing Rock, stay straight on to Boone.
From Raleigh: I-40 West to Winston-Salem, In Winston-Salem merge on to Hwy 421 West and come straight to Boone.
From Johnson City, TN: Hwy 321 straight to Boone
From Asheville: I-40 east to Marion, Hwy 221 North, follow Hwy 221 through several stop lights, Hwy 221 will eventually run in to Hwy 105, Follow Hwy 105 in to Boone
If you are unsure about your directions, feel free to call me at: Tommy White ~ 828-773-0369
Holiday Inn Express, Boone 1943 Blowing Rock Rd, Boone, NC 28607 (828) 264-2451
The Fairfield Inn & Suites, Boone 2060 Blowing Rock Rd, Boone, NC 28607 (828) 268-0677
Marriot Courtyard 1050 Highway 105, Boone, NC 28607 (828) 265-7676
What to bring:
- Headlamp / Flashlight (bring two)
- Waterproof Hiking Boots
- Water shoes (if we are photographing waterfalls or streams)
- Nylon(zip off) pants are highly recommended in the mountain climate and will dry fast
- Nylon, wicking T-shirts or fly fishing shirts work well in the climate.
- Waterproof/Breathable Shell/Jacket
- Waterproof/Breathable Nylon Pants
- Cold weather gear(nylon pants, toboggan, gloves, wool or nylon socks, insulated wicking layers, waterproof shell)
- Nylon Gaitors(morning backcountry sessions, ie. Roan Mtn)
- Sunscreen and bug spray
- Handwarmers(Fall, Winter and Astrophotography sessions)
- Hiking Stick
- Water (2 liter Lexan is recommended)
- Snacks (crackers, protein bars)
- An adventurous spirit
- Camera bag(backpack) with a rain fly
- Camera and extra battery
- Sturdy Tripod and Ball Head
- Ultra-wide to wide angle lens
- Mid-Range to Telephoto lens
- Circular Polarizer Filter
- ND filters with a filter holder(screw on filters are not recommended) I use Hi Tech, Lee and Singh Ray
- ND Graduated filters
- Lens cleaning cloth and solution
- Laptop with Adobe Lightroom and/or Photoshop for editing
You are required to make the full payment at the time of booking. I accept all Credit Cards and personal Checks.
Cancellations made more than 60 days before the event date may choose to reschedule for another workshop date or request a refund minus a 20% admin fee. Cancellations made less than 60 days before the event date are only eligible for rescheduling or a refund if the opening can be rebooked.